Apple Crumb Pie
Apple Crumb Pie
This pie is sinfully delicious and a cinch to make at home. Just fill the flaky pie crust with cinnamon and sugar–coated apples, then finish it with a crunchy oat crumb topping.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
Oat Crumb Topping
- Place oats, flour, dark brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Gently mix, breaking up any lumps with your fingertips and taking care not to crush the oats.
- Add butter, gently rubbing mixture together with your fingers to produce a mealy texture.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the apple filling.
- Place flour, confectioners’ sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and pulse briefly to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until it is cut in and mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolks and milk and process just until dough is smooth and evenly moistened. Do not process until dough forms a ball or it will be tough.
- Remove dough from processor, divide in half, and press each half into a ball.
- Flatten into two disks, wrap well, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
Apple Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place apple slices in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, combine brown sugar, corn starch, and spices. Break up any lumps. Add apples and toss to coat.
- Pour spiced apples into pie crust, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the pie, leaving a ½-inch border uncovered. The topping will spread to cover the entire pie while baking.
- Bake on middle rack for approximately 60 to 75 minutes, or until juices are bubbling and crumb topping is lightly browned all over.