Bacon Apple Pie
Bacon Apple Pie
Nope, that’s not a typo. We really do have a delicious Bacon Apple Pie recipe for you to try at home. It features a crispy bacon lattice top rather than a traditional pie dough lattice. The result—a sweet and salty miracle!
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
- Place flour, confectioners’ sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and pulse briefly to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until it is cut in and mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolks and milk and process just until dough is smooth and evenly moistened. Do not process until dough forms a ball or it will be tough.
- Remove dough from processor, divide in half, and press each half into a ball.
- Flatten into two disks, wrap well, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
Pie Filling & Bacon Lattice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub brown sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, and lemon zest together with fingertips until blended.
- Add apples to bowl and toss to coat.
- Fill pie crust with apple slices, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Weave uncooked bacon over top of pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges (For a lattice topping you should have an over-under pattern with 4 to 6 pieces going vertically and 4 to 6 pieces going horizontally).
- Trim bacon slices to the edge of crust with scissors.
- Bake on middle rack, checking after 30 minutes to make sure bacon does not burn. If bacon is browning too much, cover with foil.
- After 1 hour, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Continue baking for 15 to 25 minutes until bacon is golden brown and crisp.
- Let pie cool for 1 hour before serving.