Add Tennessee sipping whiskey and chocolate chips to a classic pecan pie and you have a Loveless Cafe creation like no other. It’s a must-eat during the Iroquois Steeplechase, a horse race held in Nashville annually since 1941 that attracts some of the world’s best horses and jockeys.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
- Place flour, confectioners’ sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and pulse briefly to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until it is cut in and mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolks and milk and process just until dough is smooth and evenly moistened. Do not process until dough forms a ball or it will be tough.
- Remove dough from processor, divide in half, and press each half into a ball.
- Flatten into two disks, wrap well, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press pie dough into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Toss pecans with chocolate chips and scatter them evenly over the bottom of pie.
- Mix sugar, whiskey, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add butter then whisk to combine.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
- Add corn syrup and continue whisking until blended.
- Pour mixture over nuts and chips in pie crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the pie puffs up and sets. Let cool before serving.