These classic pralines show exactly why bacon can be a dessert’s best friend. This recipe is quick but precise, so make sure you have a candy thermometer on hand.
This recipe is featured in our Loveless Cafe Cookbook!
Servings: 75 pralines
- Pour 1 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over high heat. Do not stir. Instead, tilt pan from side to side until sugar melts and turns to a dark amber color (approximately 10 minutes).
- While sugar is caramelizing, combine heavy cream, remaining 4 cups sugar, and pecans in a large pot and bring to a low boil.
- Slowly pour caramelized sugar into cream mixture, stirring constantly. Mixture will bubble considerably.
- Cook on high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reaches at least 234 degrees, but no more than 240 degrees, on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in butter and lemon juice.
- Turn off heat and stir in chopped bacon. Keep stirring slowly, until mixture starts to cool and becomes a hazy brown color.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a sheet of parchment paper and let cool before serving.